We've been creating success stories since 1987.

 

OUR HISTORY

The Theresa Living Center was founded by the School Sisters of Notre Dame over 28 years ago to provide housing for single women who found themselves homeless or in an abusive situation. This  residential program, located in the former convent of St. Casmir’s Catholic Church, initially served 12 expectant mothers or women with children.

Within a couple of years, the School Sisters identified the need to help single women and single-parent families find affordable housing. Caroline Family Services was started out of the desire to assist 24 homeless single-parent families living in their own homes—helping them access the resources and services needed to stabilize their living situation and become self-sufficient. 

Today the Theresa Living Center is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, but still retains close ties to the School Sisters of Notre Dame, who continue to support us both financially and through volunteer work, including service on our board of directors. Their vision of transforming lives through transitional services continues to guide our programs. We extend our heartfelt thanks to the School Sisters of Notre Dame and St. Casmir Catholic Church for their ongoing and generous support on so many levels.

The Theresa Living Center was named after Mother Theresa Gerhardinger, founder of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, to celebrate her beatification. Caroline Family Services was named in honor of Mother Caroline Friess, who came to America in 1847 and led the School Sisters of Notre Dame in North America until her death in 1892. 

  Sisters Paulissa Jirik, Mary Gen Olin, Judy Bakula, Rita Jirik , and Jane Thibault. Sisters Judy Bakula and Rita Jirik created the Theresa Living Center in 1987. 

Sisters Paulissa Jirik, Mary Gen Olin, Judy Bakula, Rita Jirik , and Jane Thibault. Sisters Judy Bakula and Rita Jirik created the Theresa Living Center in 1987.